Archive for May, 2022
Article by CAA Quebec
Fuel is expensive! You may be spending thousands of dollars a year on gas. And unfortunately, there’s no relief in sight. Not to worry though: There are a few simple tricks you can do to save a little (or a lot!). Follow them consistently and you could seriously save hundreds of dollars a year.
Become an eco driver
- Accelerate gently. Revving your engine wastes a lot of gas. The ideal rate of acceleration is 20 km/h every 5 seconds.
- Slow down. Driving at 100 km/h instead of 120 km/h consumes 20% less fuel.
- Drive at a steady speed. Acceleration burns a lot of fuel, even at higher speeds. For instance, fluctuating between 75 km/h and 85 km/h every 18 seconds can lead to a 20% increase in fuel consumption. We recommend using cruise control on the highway.
- Go easy on the pedals. Abrupt starts and hard braking reduce travel time by only 4% but increase fuel consumption by 39% (source: Natural Resources Canada).
- Keep your distance. Leave enough distance between you and the vehicle in front of you so you don’t have to react suddenly. This also helps you avoid braking and accelerating for no reason.